EMDR and Addiction Treatment
This a nice article explaining how EMDR helps break the cycle of addictions. There are many new methods that EMDR therapists are using with their patients which help them overcome addictions. In their book about addictions and the stages of change, Treating Addictions With EMDR Therapy and the Stages of Change, Nancy J. Abel, LCSW, LADC and John M. O’Brien, Ph.D explain the stages leading to recovery:
- Pre-Contemplation: The stage where one has not yet thought about making a change.
- Contemplation: The stage where one begins to think about change but is still ambivalent.
- Preparation/Determination: The stage where one beings to discuss the actual steps of making a change regarding their addiction.
- Action: The stage where one is actually beginning to make changes in their life towards overcoming addiction.
- Maintenance: This is the stage where one works on maintaining sobriety and does the work of recovery.
About EMDR Therapy
EMDR Therapy can help at any stage of addiction. Whatever stage you’re in, EMDR will take you to the next level. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t stopped drinking or using and aren’t even ready to stop. EMDR is very powerful because as it quickly resolves the layers of distress, reducing the desire to drink, use, or engage in the addiction. Many people experience EMDR as an “effortless process” and find their addictions lessening spontaneously without the “white knuckles”.
If you’re struggling with any type of addiction or compulsive behavior, weather it be substance abuse, overeating, internet or sex addiction, pornography, or compulsive spending, please reach out to me via my contact page.